How to Reset Ring Doorbell WIFI? [Ring doorbell 1, Ring doorbell 2 and Ring doorbell Pro]
Internet of Things (IoT) has been recently gaining traction around the world, especially in the developed markets. This is the primary reason why all the big and small corporations are trying to gain a foothold in this rapidly expanding market and trying to build an ecosystem of their own in this domain.
Big companies like Google, Amazon, and Apple are working hard to create a connected devices ecosystem of their own. But many other smaller companies are also working towards this goal of providing affordable and connected home automation and security systems to people.
The home security domain is one such domain that has many products and companies trying to get people’s attention. Products like smart doorbells are standard in the home automation market, but very few companies have been able to get them right.
- 1080p HD video doorbell with enhanced features that let you see, hear, and speak to anyone from your phone, tablet, or PC.
- An upgrade from the original Ring Video Doorbell 2, enjoy improved motion detection, privacy zones and audio privacy, and dual-band (2.4 or 5.0 GHz) wifi connectivity.
- Receive mobile notifications when anyone presses your doorbell or triggers your built-in motion sensors.
- Powered by the rechargeable battery pack or connects to doorbell wires for constant power.
- Easily setup by connecting your Ring Video Doorbell 3 to wifi through the Ring app and mounting with the included tools.
Ring Doorbell has been one such product that has carved out space for itself in this crowded segment despite many prominent and established industry players. There are many models of the Ring Doorbell available in the market, like Ring Doorbell 1, Ring doorbell two, and Ring doorbell pro.
All these are available at various price points and provides different features to the consumers. These provide a cheap way to have a video camera doorbell on the door of the house. This has been one of the significant reasons why despite more well-known brands like Google Nest and Amazon Alexa powered home security devices being available in the market for low dirt prices, and these devices have outsold the much bigger rivals regularly.
Since Ring Doorbells use the internet for transmitting data, the cost of purchasing them and installing them is not as high as the older fixed and wired video camera doorbell systems. This has led to the widespread adoption of these products by the consumers, and the products have been selling like hot cakes for years.
Even after providing the devices at low prices as compared to the competition, the company has maintained acceptable quality-control practices, and this has led to the production of really reliable devices that can work for years without giving any problem to the users.
Resetting the Ring Doorbell Wi-Fi
Ring Doorbells have been a significant player and a well-known brand in the home security and camera doorbells market for some time now. The ownership experience, as shared by many people, is fuss-free, and people rarely have any problems with the devices.
But as with all the electronic devices, there is a chance of these devices developing problems. Primarily the Wi-Fi connectivity related issues are most common among the issues faced by people while using Ring doorbells.
Apart from that, many people must change their Wi-Fi service providers, their Wi-Fi routers, or in many cases, people take the Ring doorbells with them when they are moving to a new house. Because of this, the setup process must be done again from the beginning.
Since the device is easy to install and to remove, the only major problem faced by its owners while moving from one home to another is in setting up the device for the new Wi-Fi connection of the new house.
In this article, we will talk about how to reset the Wi-Fi in Ring Doorbell products so that any Wi-Fi-related problem which the devices face can be solved without having to contact the customer care executives. Follow the below-mentioned steps to reset the Wi-Fi and change over to a new Wi-Fi network on Ring doorbells:
- First, make sure the device has enough juice. If the device is hardwired to a power supply, make sure it is turned ON and if it works on a battery, make sure it is charged up to at least 50 percent.
- Once the device has enough power, remove the device from its mountings. To remove it, use a small screwdriver and remove the two small screws at the bottom of the device.
- Now lift the outer casing by pushing it upwards, and it will come out quickly. Place it separately and keep it near the smartphone with the Ring application in it, in an area where the Wi-Fi signals are strong.
- Open the Ring application on the smartphone, tap on the devices option, and select the device.
- Select the device health option under the device and then click on the change Wi-Fi network option.
- Now it will give a warning saying, “Please be near your Ring doorbell device.” Once you are closer to the device, click on continue.
- Now the application will give you the instructions which you need to follow to change the Wi-Fi network.
As instructed by the application, press the orange button at the back of the ring doorbell device. Now turn over the device, and the light ring will start turning in circles. This means that the device is starting its Wi-Fi connection.
This is also known as the setup mode. This mode is used to connect the Ring device to the mobile application and make changes to the settings of the device without connecting to any external Wi-Fi network.
- Now click on the notification in the Ring application asking for the smartphone to connect to the Ring doorbell.
- Once connected, it will give a list of Wi-Fi networks to which you want to connect your ring doorbell. Select the Wi-Fi network you want to connect to.
- Now enter the password for the network in the Ring application and click continue.
- After a few seconds, the ring doorbell will get connected to the Wi-Fi network you chose. Now remount the doorbell on the door, and the doorbell is ready for use.
Factory Reset the Ring Doorbell
Sometimes, even after following the proper procedure as mentioned above, the Ring doorbell does not go into the setup mode for us to change the Wi-Fi network. This happens rarely, and there is an easy method to solve this issue- Factory Reset.
The advantage of a factory reset is that all the software related issues the device is having will go away and the device will start behaving like a brand-new device. But the biggest downside of factory resetting the device is that all the device data will be lost along with the saved settings and preferences.
Here are the steps to factory reset the Ring doorbells, which will directly put them into the setup mode:
- First, make sure the device has enough power. If there is a fixed power source available, make sure it is connected correctly. If it is battery operated, make sure the battery is charged more than 50 percent of the total capacity.
- Now use a screwdriver and remove the two screws placed at the bottom of the doorbell, which is used for holding the casing and the doorbell together, and take out the device from the wall.
- Once the screws are out, remove the outer faceplate by lifting it and pulling it out.
- Once the faceplate is out, the black button for resetting the device will be visible. The button will either be placed at the side or just below the camera, depending on the model of the Ring doorbell.
- Press the reset button and keep it pressed for at least 15 seconds to reset the device.
- After the reset process is complete, the light ring on the front of the device will start blinking. This indicates that the device is restarting after a successful reset.
- The doorbell will be reset to factory default settings and preferences. Use the Ring mobile applications to set up the device and connect it to the Wi-Fi network you want. The settings need to be manually changed to make it function like before.
Troubleshooting Wi-Fi Errors Without Resetting the Device
There might be issues with the Wi-Fi connectivity of the device, which can be easily solved without any rest being done of the Ring doorbell itself. Problems like frequent disconnection of the device from the Wi-Fi network can have many reasons. Some of the most common reasons behind that problem are mentioned below.
- The device requires at least a 2.4 GHz connection to function. If it is not available, the frequent disconnection and connection can occur. If this is the problem, then the Wi-Fi router needs to be changed with a router working on at least a 2.4 GHz frequency band.
- Many times, the product develops problems just because of working for long hours and overheating. In the case of the Ring doorbell, it is working continuously for months and may overheat because of this and develop some problems with Wi-Fi connection. Switching off the device for about half an hour has solved many people as it cools down the device after prolonged usage and makes the device fit for use again.
Ring home security and internet-connected devices have become popular, especially in North America, in recent years. The biggest reason behind this popularity has been the ease of use and intuitive nature of these devices.
That, coupled with reliable and fuss-free ownership, has made these products the best sellers in their respective categories. But even though the products are designed to be reliable, there might be some problems that might creep-in, either related to the software or the hardware.
Since the device works on an internet connection and thus continually needs to be connected, the errors in the Wi-Fi network connection can affect the functionality of Ring doorbells adversely. In this article, we have explained how to solve problems related to Wi-Fi and how to reset the Wi-Fi connection of the Ring doorbells.
Write for us
HeckHome does not necessarily share views expressed by opinion writers and advertisers. HeckHome regularly invites Bloggers across the World to home renovation write for us in order to present their creative ideas.
- How much does Installation of Full-Length Mirror CostMeta Description: Here’s everything about full length mirror, installation process, cost of the mirror and where to buy one top quality mirror. There is a high tendency that many homeowners have at least one mirror installed in a place in their home. Mirrors are quite... The post How much does Installation of Full-Length Mirror Cost […]