Refrigerator users often face typical appliance breakdowns. Some of them can be diagnosed and repaired by yourself, but many of them need to be repaired by specialists.
In the refrigerator of any model, three main elements cool its working chamber:
- condenser – a serpentine-shaped tube at the back of the device;
- compressor – the largest part, usually located in the lower back of the equipment;
- evaporator – in models with a freezer, it is usually located between the refrigerator and freezer chambers, it is an aluminum spiral.
Most serious malfunctions are associated with the breakdown of one of these elements. Specialists from here can identify and eliminate problems with them.
Lighting is not technically related to the cooling system. If the light in the working chamber is on, then the following malfunctions are possible:
- Compressor. In this case, the command block starts the motor but turns it off after a few seconds. Startup occurs with an unusually loud noise.
- Thermostat. This element monitors the temperature in the working chamber and turns the cooling procedure on and off. Usually, the thermostat is faulty if you hear the compressor starting to click, but it does not turn on and does not make noise.
- Coolant has leaked out. The light in the working chamber is on, the compressor works with uniform noise. The rack on the back of the appliance will be cold. When there is refrigerant in the system, it is hot.
If the compressor does not work, and the light in the refrigerator compartment flashes/lights up intermittently, then a malfunction in the electronic control unit is possible. Therefore, refrigerator repair is needed.
The freezer may stop working for the following reasons:
- Clogged drain tube. This element allows the refrigerant to circulate freely. In this case, if the temperature in the freezer is above zero, the compressor may overheat. It is necessary to clean the tube and replace the drying filter – this should be done by a qualified specialist.
- Fan failure. In models with the NoFrost system, it distributes cold air throughout the cooking chamber. In this case, a complete defrosting of the device can help if it is not under the manufacturer’s warranty.
Compressor failure is the most common problem. In most cases, it requires replacement by a qualified technician. If the refrigerator has a long service life (more than 10 years), then it is more advisable to purchase a new unit. The compressor may be broken if it:
- does not make any sounds or noises;
- turns on for a few seconds, making a characteristic click – this sound is emitted by a protective relay.
Compressor failure may be indicated by:
- loud noise when starting the engine, rattle;
- overheating of the refrigerator motor;
- puddle or oil stains under the back of the appliance.
Compressors in new refrigerators have a long service life. To minimize the likelihood of breakage you should:
- select a device with the correct climate class (S, SN, T, ST);
- not overload the working chambers: refrigerating and freezing – the manufacturer indicates the maximum load in the operating instructions.
If the refrigerator door cannot be tightly closed, this will lead to cold loss, and compressor wear. The reasons may be as follows:
- The refrigerator is not levelled. Align the device evenly with the help of the adjusting feet, if they are in the design.
- Damaged seal. It must be replaced with a new one.
- Loose hinges that hold the door.
Broken door sensor. In this case, a closed refrigerator signals that the door is open.
If the refrigerator does not turn off, this leads to wear of the compressor, and overheating of the motor. Normally, the fridge cools the working chamber cyclically – for 10-20 minutes, maintaining the temperature in the working chamber. If the motor and compressor run without pauses, this may be due to the following reasons:
- The door is not tightly closed. There is constant heat loss. This forces the compressor to work without pauses, maintaining the desired temperature.
- The room temperature is high. Refrigerators are designed to work under certain conditions. For example, models with the SN index work at values from +10 to +32 degrees.
- The refrigerator is installed near the heating device. For example, radiators, close to an oven or oven with hot surfaces.
Repairs of fridges should be entrusted to qualified specialists who can quickly fix problems for your refrigerator to work properly for a long time.
- The Ultimate Guide to Modern Freestanding BathtubsIf you’re looking for a bathtub that symbolizes both sophistication as well as luxury, then freestanding bathtubs could be for you. They can be seen as investment pieces, which means that you’ll need to put thought into picking the right tub. But what should you... The post The Ultimate Guide to Modern Freestanding Bathtubs appeared […]