Being a first-time dog owner can be complicated and is not as easy as shown in movies. It englobes a wide range of things that should be considered before, during, and after the adoption, and generally speaking, if you are not careful and responsible about it, you might encounter various complications along the way that will affect your and the dog’s experience, in the short-term and long-term run.
Some of the things that should be considered with a lot of care involve:
- The breed of the dog
- Its age
- Its behavior
- Whether it is a family-oriented animal or not
- How much exercise it will need
- The amount of maintenance it will require
- And the amount of attention it might demand
That being said, a lot of people struggle with the decision: Are small breeds of dog better, or are large to medium-sized breeds of dog a wiser choice?
More often than not, choosing a dog is something that requires you to consider your circumstances, personality, and how much free time you have to be a responsible dog owner. If you are having doubts and questions regarding the whole process, this dog breeds guide is definitely for you!
Considering Your Situation
First of all, your situation can definitely play a huge factor when it comes to choosing a dog. For example, if you have children, you will definitely want a kind and well-behaved dog that won’t put your children to harm, and if you live in a small place, you will definitely want a small dog so that you can keep your sliding safe too.
For that reason, you should have a solid idea of the things you should carefully assess before adopting any kind of dog. Right now, some of the things you should pay attention to are:
- The size of your house.Some large to medium-sized breeds might become uncomfortable living in small places, and this can affect their mental health considerably, causing stress and anxiety that might lead to behavior patterns that can possibly affect your house and your family in negative ways.
- How often you are at home.There are breeds that are more social than others, and this also means that some breeds do need a certain level of socialization to be happy and stress-free. If you don’t have family members that will help you with this, and you are not at your place very often, you either have to option to adopt two dogs to help them cope with loneliness, or adopt a breed that is more independent.Without enough socialization and attention, some dogs can become depressed and destructive, and even aggressive at times! This is especially true for adopted dogs since they are more likely to suffer from separation anxiety.
- How willing you are to take care of their needs.Many breeds in the world require a considerable amount of exercise. This means, ideally, you should take your time to exercise them on a daily basis. Other breeds are also high-maintenance, thus, they need more grooming, baths, and care to lead satisfying lives.Before adopting, you have to be sure that you are up to the challenge since this aspect of their lives can greatly decide how healthy they will be, and how likely they will become to suffer from certain physical conditions!
- If you have children or other petsIf living with your children or already have another pet, you will definitely want a sociable dog that will get along with them, and won’t be aggressive near or towards them. Although a dog’s social behavior can be influenced by its breed, its past experiences play a huge role in this matter, thus, you should pay attention to the dog you want to adopt and decide whether its behavior is suitable or not for your circumstances.
You will also want a fixed amount of supplies to ensure that the dog will be as comfortable as possible, and if you have no idea where to start, you should definitely check out this article.
Now, let’s talk about both small and large breeds to see which one is more suitable for you as a dog owner!
Now, as you might have expected, there are some differences between small and big dogs, apart of course, from their size. Some of these differences are very important to take into consideration, while others are more important for some people than for others.
When it comes to small breeds, we can say that:
- They tend to be cute, adorable, and less intimidating, which might appeal to small children.
- They don’t require as much exercise and food, making them much more affordable options and less time-consuming pets.
- They are very easy to handle, and grooming them or bathing them is much easier.
- The small dogs misbehave, they are a lot more tolerable and will cause fewer problems. That being said, they tend to be more stubborn and more difficult to train.
One big disadvantage is that smaller dogs can get easily injured, so you have to be very attentive to them and make sure that they don’t run into trouble! Also, they tend to be indoor pets, so leaving them outside is not an option!
Now, when we talk about larger breeds, we can say that:
- Big dogs tend to be much more fun to be around since they can do a lot more things and are a lot more resistant.
- Training a big dog is also easier since they are less stubborn.
- Very good choice for those who are physically active, or want to change their sedentary lifestyles.
- They offer a certain level of protection that would be impossible to get from smaller breeds
Now, some of the disadvantages of owning a large breed are that they tend to live shorter lives, and often suffer from physical conditions when they reach senior age. They are also more expensive to keep because they eat and require more, and definitely need a lot more exercise and time outdoors.
You can always visit https://pethelpful.com/dogs/Small-Dog-or-Large for more details on the matter!
Medium sized-dogs are also a good option since they offer a little bit of each world. That being said, researching the particular breed you want to adopt is absolutely necessary, so always take your time to learn more and decide!
- Benefits of a Moving CompanyMoving can be an exciting yet daunting task, and if you’ve ever relocated to a new home or office, you know that it involves more than just packing your belongings into boxes. It’s a process that requires careful planning, organization, and physical effort. This is... The post Benefits of a Moving Company appeared first on […]