Every home must have a set of power tools that make a place in a must-have list. A drill or a circular saw is usually what everyone wants to own as a power tool. A similar tool with so many uses, an angle grinder, is something you should not miss!
Made of different accessories like wheels and discs, an angle grinder can be used in a lot of ways to make your work and projects easier. The discs rotate at relatively high speeds, which gives them the power to perform functions like cutting, grinding, sharpening, or smoothing.
While angle grinders can be very useful, can they be dangerous as well? The answer is yes! If not used properly, the tool can turn out to be a dangerous power tool.
If you want to read what and how to use an angle grinder can do, stay tuned to this blog!
What is an Angle Grinder?
Before we begin with this blog, let us first understand what an angle grinder is. These tools have rapidly rotating discs that have the power to cut, polish, grind, or sharpen materials like wood, iron, copper, mortar, tiles, or bricks.
The speed of rotating discs varies, rendering different speeds that can cut the materials. Apart from the variable speed of the angle grinders, they come in different sizes.
The speed and disc of the angle grinders can be altered depending on your needs. This makes them a versatile option for your projects. When we speak of the power source of these tools, it can either be cordless (or batteries), or the tool can use motor power.
Where is an Angle Grinder Used?
Angle grinders have different uses and are very popular among different projects. Here are some of the ways to use angle grinders.
One of the popular uses of angle grinders is to grind and polish metals. For doing so, abrasive grinding discs are used, which are made from materials like carbide and aluminum. With the abrasive discs, you can alter metal by flattening, smoothing, or removing pieces. Using angle grinders at lower speeds for smoothing and polishing helps the metal attain an improved outlook.
Another use of angle grinders is to cut the metals. The rapidly rotating discs are able to cut through the metal, helping to cut the metal. This use of angle grinders is used in plumbing, welding, etc. Angle grinders are not just useful for cutting metals but also materials like tiles, stones, and masonry materials. It is also a perfect choice if you want to replace mortar, which is required in cases of repair caused by leaks, insect infestation, or drafts.
Additionally, an angle grinder is also efficient in cleaning metal. If you want to remove rust or paint from a metal surface, angle grinders can be used for this purpose without damaging the metal. To do so, opt for a metal cleaning wheel or plastic stripping disc.
An angle grinder is also used as a sharpening tool very often. Tools like chisels, axes, or mower blades can be sharpened by using an angle grinder. Abrasive grinding discs equipped with angle grinders should be perfectly secured before you use them for sharpening.
What Discs to Use?
The discs you choose for your angle grinder will depend on your requirements. For example, abrasive metal cutting discs are used for cutting metal, whereas segmented rim discs are specifically designed for cutting concrete and pavers.
Once you have selected the right type of discs for your project, the size of the disc is equally important. For example, discs with a size of 12 cm are ideal for cutting wood or metal (of thickness 2-3 cm), whereas 18 cm discs are required for cutting wood and metal that is 4-5 cm thick. For larger pieces, a size 23 cm for discs is opted.
Safety Tips to Follow When Using an Angle Grinder
Before you start your project with an angle grinder, the first precaution you must take is to thoroughly research the type of grinder required as per the need. Here are some of the tips that will help you to have a safe experience when using an angle grinder.
- The most important safety measure when working with an angle grinder is to use the right protective gear. The protective equipment will usually have materials to protect your eyes, ears, hands, and lungs. The protective gear you are using must fit you. Choosing a gear of the wrong size can make it uncomfortable for you to work.
- If there are broken or damaged parts of the angle grinder, do not use it. Broken discs, when used, can shatter as it is used and can throw away the pieces.
- Before you begin working with an angle grinder, ensure that the tool is attached securely and all the bolts are tightly fixed.
- Care of your tools is very important. The discs and the machinery of your tool are made of metal, making it susceptible to damage caused by rust and moisture. Be careful of using discs before their expiration tenure.
- Your workspace where you are working with an angle grinder must not be a mess. This ensures that you can move comfortably as you move around while working on your project. Place power cables far from your working area to prevent any damage.
- When you are using an angle grinder, it is likely that it might produce sparks. To avoid any hazardous situation, keep flammable materials like oils, diesel, or gasoline far from your workspace.
- Whenever working with an angle grinder, keep a fire extinguisher in close proximity as a safety measure. Adding to that, avoid working in wet areas.
Owning an angle grinder can be very beneficial because of its multiple uses in home projects. With fast-rotating discs, the angle grinders can cut, smoothen, grind, or sharpen metals and wood.
An angle grinder comes in variable disc sizes meant for different purposes. The home project you want to work with will determine what size of discs you must use.
Although an angle grinder is a useful tool, its usage comes with the right precautions. Take safety measures like wearing protective gear when working and using high-quality angle grinders. Keep your workspace tidy, so it is not comfortable to work with an angle grinder.
We hope you loved reading it! Comment down for more topics you want to read about!
- Light and Shadow: Playing with Different Types of Curtains to Set Your Home’s MoodIntroduction to Curtains and Home Mood A room’s ambiance may be significantly changed by the play of light and shadow via curtains. Proper curtains provide the stage for your home’s ever-changing tale, from the subtle play of light streaming through to the striking contrast of... The post Light and Shadow: Playing with Different Types of […]